The Open composers competition named after Andrey Petrov has been held annually since 2007 alternately in two categories - «symphonic music» and «song and pop romance». Precisely in these genres Andrey Petrov wrote most of his works and earned truly international love and recognition. Since 2021 year the competition introduces a new special nomination «Andrey Petrov of the 21st century» for the best author's version (cover) of a song composed by Andrey Petrov. Since 2022 the competition introduces a new special symphonic nomination for young composers «Share of hope».
The competition is organized by
the Foundation for the preservation and development of the creative heritage of the composer Andrey Petrov.
No entry fee is required for participation in the Competition.
The main goals of the competition are to support music art and discover the new composer’s names. The federal significance of the Competition is primarily to strengthen the positive image of St. Petersburg as the cultural capital of Russia.
The competition helps in solving not only such important tasks as identifying and supporting talented professional composers from various regions of Russia and countries of the near and far abroad, but also to introduce the music art to the maximum number of music lovers and discoverers of this type of creativity.
Acceptance of applications:
from March 01 till May 31 (annually)
The qualifying round of the Competition:
The first round of the Competition:
June - July (annually)
Second round of the Competition:
July - August (annually)
Final of the competition and awarding:
September - October (annually)
Finalists are invited to the final concert - the final round of the competition.
Сompetition is held in four rounds. The final of the competition takes place in the best concert halls of St. Petersburg, including: in the category «symphonic music» - the Great hall of the St. Petersburg Academic Philharmonic named after Dmitry Shostakovich and in the category «song and pop romance» - the St. Petersburg State Theater of Musical Comedy.
The jury of the competition for many years includes well-known cultural figures, composers and conductors from Russia, Europe and far abroad.
Learn more about the Jury members in the bottom of this page.
All finalists of the competition receive special diplomas and memorable gifts. The winners of the Competition are awarded with the title of laureates or diploma holders and are awarded with cash prizes. All participants who have passed the second round receive diplomas of participation.
Professional video and audio recording of the final concert is also provided.
For more information, see the official Regulations on the Competition.
• The composer competition is open to everyone, regardless of the age of the participants, education and place of residence.
• There is no entry fee for participation in the Competition.
• All participants of the composers' competition submit their compositions anonymously, under the motto. The motto should not exceed 10 printed characters.
• In the nomination «Song and pop romance», one participant can submit to the Competition no more than three compositions under different mottos, in the nomination «Andrey Petrov of the 21st century», no more than one cover version. In the «Symphonic music» nomination, one participant can submit to the competition no more than one composition lasting from 10 to 15 minutes, in the symphonic nomination for young composers «Share of hope» no more than one composition lasting from 7 to 10 minutes.
• Compositions that have previously won prizes are not allowed to participate in the Competition.
• The composition submitted by the participant must not have been previously published, publicly performed and/or recorded on replicated media, as well as broadcasted on the radio or tv, earlier than October 01 of the year of the previous competition in the corresponding category (see the official Regulations on the competition for more information).
• Works written in the genre of song and pop romance are allowed to participate in the nomination «Song and pop romance» of the competition.
• Author's versions (cover versions) of works based on songs by Andrey Petrov are allowed to participate in the nomination «Andrey Petrov of the 21st century».
• Works created in various genres and forms of symphonic music (symphony, sinfonietta, symphonic fantasy, suite, poem, rhapsody, concert, etc.) written for a symphonic orchestra are allowed to participate in the nomination «Symphonic music» and «Share of hope». The presented work can be cyclic or single-part. Participation of one or two solo instruments or voices is allowed. The possibility of using rare or not included in the usual composition of the symphonic orchestra instruments must be agreed in advance with the Competition Directorate.
• The orchestra / ensemble structure for all categories:
- nomination «Symphonic music» - symphonic orchestra (maximum composition – triple)
- nomination «Share of hope» - small symphonic orchestra
- nomination «Song and pop romance» and «Andrey Petrov of the 21st century» – professional instrumental ensemble of extended composition: string quartet, rhythm group consisting of: guitar / electric guitar, keys (2 pieces), bass guitar, drum kit, wind instruments, backing vocals up to 3 people.
For more information see the official Regulations on the competition.Applications are accepted on the official website of the competition in the section «Submit an application» by selecting the appropriate category.
Artistic director of the St. Petersburg Academic Philharmonic named after D. D. Shostakovich
I have been a member of the Board of Trustees of the Andrey Petrov Foundation since its creation. I can say with confidence that for many years the Foundation has been engaged not only in promoting the music of Andrey Petrov himself, creating an archive, working on the publication of a composer’s collected works, which is undoubtedly very important, but also organizing a composers competition that is very significant for Russian cultural life. As a member of the jury several years ago, I had the opportunity not only to realize how many authors send their compositions to the competition, but also a wide range of cities and countries of participants.
The once-blooming garden of Russian musical culture has been blowing a bit down. Therefore, any support and stimulation of creativity in the field of culture and art is like blessed rain. I consider the Open competition of composers named after Andrey Petrov a matter of vital necessity, a matter of great national importance. Therefore, I express my gratitude to the organizing committee of the contest. Continue this way - it is necessary, it is joyful.
Competitions for composers are not frequent, but very important. Sometimes authors simply have nowhere to go with their composition, there is no way to hear their song in the concert hall performed by professional soloists and musicians. The contest, named after the wonderful composer Andrey Petrov, gives the participants this chance, inspiring them to create new compositions! I have long heard about this professional competition, about a worthy and impartial jury, about the widest geography of participants, but for the first time I ended up in the jury, which I was very happy about!
Dear friends, dear jury members, colleagues, young composers!
Now, more than ever, music will play a special role - the role of appeal to a person. Composers are simply called upon to return to music the high role that has always been inherent in it. I am not a “populist” at all, I am always for something new, with a condition that the purpose of this new is to touch the listener and reach out to him.
Doctor vocation is to heal human ailments;
Music - heals the soul, and we will remember it!
I wish you success, dear young colleagues!
The star of Andrey Petrov
shines with Petersburg -
and it is wonderous
that in the young -
the thaumaturgic whiteness
of the nights
is ever aflame with new life.
All my creative life was connected with Andrey Petrov, starting with our first work on Mosfilm. The music of this outstanding composer will forever remain a precious example of true art, those pharos that has been shining for all of us for many years. Someone, like me, grew up with the melodies of Andrey Petrov. Someone has recognized them only now. But the main thing is that his memory does not fade and his music does not age. And it’s fortunate that there is an opportunity for composers to take part in a competition where they appreciate, first of all, good taste, sincere service to art and the continuation of the wonderful traditions laid down by Andrey Petrov.
People's Artist of Russia, composer
The creative legacy of my colleague Andrey Petrov, a wonderful composer who worked in a variety of musical genres, has a particular value to our culture. His music is played in academic halls, on theater stages, in pop concerts. For each of us, I am sure that for the members of the jury not less than for the contestants – such an event will not only be a great opportunity to look around, hear new music, discover new names for themselves, but also a wonderful experience that will undoubtedly benefit. I am very glad that the Open composers competition has a great authority among the musical community, arouses tremendous interest among the professional community, as evidenced by the number of applications for participation.
Andrey Petrov Foundation directorate
Olga PETROVA - artistic director, People's Artist of Russia, composer
Nadezda KUZINA - director
Anton GOLUBENKO - director for development, technical director
From the bottom of our hearts we greet the musicians and composers taking part in the Andrey Petrov Open composers competition, a prestigious creative competition that attracts the attention of the music community both in Russia and abroad. We are proud that the Competition has gained a reputation and become one of the significant annual events in the cultural life of our country.
We are confident that participation in the competition will become a significant stage in the creative biography of each of the participants, and the experience gained will allow them to conquer new professional heights.
We wish all participants inspiration and good luck!